After my two incredible months in Canada I feel the need to do a little recap on the awesomeness that was Saskatchewan. I spent one month there and one month in Vancouver but I was blogging while I was in Vancouver so you can pretty much gain the gist of the epicness in every single post on the blog 🙂
Saskatchewan was pretty darn special to me for a number of reasons, one being that the snow was pretty much the coolest (hahaha) experience of my life.
So here are just a few of my favourite things about my experience (not really in any order except the first one 🙂 ):
1) The people!! We told the kids that I was a princess so that was fun.
She is putting sparkly high heels on me obviously, she is very considerate like that.
Everyone we ran in to was so friendly and lovely to me as well, I definitely got the impression that prairie folk are very welcoming and kind.
2) Saskatchewan is known as the land of the living skies. How beautiful does that sound? Trust me, it is just as beautiful as it sounds. The flatness of the landscape means you can see all the way to the horizon, and the sunsets are beyond phenomenal.
It also means that northern lights can be seen there- unfortunately I didn’t see any during my time there because it depends on weather and other stuff I don’t understand BUT I looked at photos instead and I guess it means I’ll just have to go back again, darn 😉
3) The ice-fishing. I never thought I’d have that experience in my life, it was the most fun thing ever and I feel so lucky that I not only got to try it but I also caught two fish. Too exciting 🙂
4) My first snowman, snow angel, and snowball fight. These are just not experiences that every kiwi gets to have, it is a wee bit too sunny down under 😉 I was beyond excited about all these things and It really brought out my inner child (not that that takes too much anyway 😉 ).
5) Everything was incredibly beautiful to me. I have never seen snow like than in my life. Even just knocking the hoar frost off the trees was incredibly entertaining to me, there was seriously not a tree I could pass by without knocking ALL the hoar frost off it.
6) The snow mobiling!!! So.much.fun. It froze my face a little bit but every second was worth it.
7) Winter fashion. I think boots are adorable at all times, but summer in New Zealand doesn’t agree with me. Winter clothing feels very pyjama-esque to me, so soft and cuddly! And no matter how ugg boots look, no one can deny their cosiness. Plus I LOVE hats, but often find them too hot in winter down under. I have more than made up for that in Canada 🙂
8) Following on from the previous point, I think Canadians have it down in terms of heating everything it is possible to heat. They have heated hoodies, foot/hand warmer things, heated insoles, heated car seats, etc etc. For someone like me who is always cold, this is amazing.
9) Laziness. When it’s minus thirty outside, cuddling up and watching movies is pretty much acceptable at all times. This has been extra magical because waitressing in Australia was physically hard on my body and I really feel like I made up for that with all the sitting around I did while the snow snowed (?) outside.
10) This isn’t especially related to Saskatchewan, but because of how cold it was there I ended up taking some time off from running which made me focus much more on practising yoga. I feel like my body loved me for this as it was very healing when I was particularly run down from waitressing, and my mind loved me for it when I needed my endorphin fix. Win win 🙂
Do you love the snow or hate it? – I LOVE it 🙂
Favourite part about winter?
How cold does it get where you live?