The one with morning yoga and my first day back at work

This girl is an angel (not me, the girl on the right πŸ™‚ ).

IMG_1365-2

I was not feeling my best this morning so Sally (aka Twinnie; we look alike right?) made me delicious simple vegetable soup. I knew I made a good decision in living with a chef. Actually she is a pastry chef/chocolate chef (no complaints about that, believe me) but she can make everything.

Soup and some gentle harbourside yoga is a great pick me up. I think all the travelling I’ve been doing has been a tiny bit stressful on my body, and combined with my slightly sprained ankle I’m just a bit under the weather.

I sprained my ankle badly last year when I was living at the Yoga centre in Canada, and my lovely boyfriend was kind enough to literally take me everywhere in the wheelbarrow. I personally think it was quite romantic πŸ™‚ A few days ago I tripped on some driftwood when I was running on the beach and twisted the same ankle, which is still not as strong as the other one. This time luckily it is nowhere near as bad as last time, I’m pretty sure my bestie would rather not haveΒ to wheelbarrow me around Sydney. I’ve been icing it and elevating it and won’t run on it until it feels completely normal again.

I am looking at the awesome side of this- more yoga!! πŸ™‚

image imageimage

We did the below video and I loved it, I am a big fan of Ashtanga yoga and while this seemed a little more Vinyasa-ey because it felt quite fast to me, I thought it was a great starting point for Ashtnaga:

After yoga we went out for coffee at the cutest cafe in central Sydney. I needed my caffiene fix quick smart before going to uni to start on a few essays. Studying again after such a long holiday= ouch. I think I will ease back in while I try to remember what responsibilities feel like. I am actually very happy to be studying again though, I LOVE Β my course and my lecturers, they are awesome.

Other responsibilites: that little thing called work. I work at a busy French restaurant in central Sydney and it is a whole lot of fun but physically very hard on my body. The belowΒ situation is the position I assume in the lift on the way home: you can’t see it but Sally is pushing on my back while I make scary facial expressions and try to stretch out my sore sore legs.

FYI: waitressing with a sprained ankle is not fun. I do not recommend it unless you are ridiculous like me and have taken a two month holiday for which you must now pay the price and take on any and all shifts you are offered.

Get ready for TMI: my shoes are now filled with blood from my swollen ankle rubbing against the leather. It is not pretty and at one point for realsies I actually thought I was going to faint from the pain (not pain in my ankle, I would take that seriously, pain from the blisters. The ankle itself does not hurt to walk on, I think sprained stuff should be taken seriously so please don’t get me wrong here πŸ™‚ ).

Sally was again an angel and got me the below gloriousness that brought tears of joy and relief to my eyes.

IMG_1382-2

It is a Friday night and the first thing I think when my boss says they don’t need me to work tonight is (thank goodness otherwise I was going to die of blister pain) and “YAY I get to work on my ethics essay”. Ethics in therapy is not really even my favourite thing to write about, but it feels good to be hitting the books again. Apparently I am a nerd. Some 24 year olds are hitting the clubs, I am hitting the books.

The sign from the cute cafe we went to reminded me why I am excited to write an ethics essay on a Friday night and why I am waitressing with a sprained ankle and feeling lucky to do so: it is enabling me to follow my big dream of doing my MA in Psychotherapy here in Sydney.

What is your biggest dream right now?Β

Have you ever waitressed? How did you survive physically? – I am serious, I thought I was fit until I started waitressing, now I am just confused. Why is running 10 miles ok while waitressing for 4 hrs nearly kills me?

This entry was posted in Running, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The one with morning yoga and my first day back at work

1. Tess says:

I have never waitressed but I know it’s really hard work. Take good care of that ankle. I sprained my ankle a few years ago and it’s never quite been the same.
    Pretty awesome headstand there Missy. It would be a migraine for me, but I am very envious. πŸ™‚

• Thanks! I definitely welcomed the child’s pose afterwards! Any inversion pose is great if headstand doesn’t work for you πŸ™‚ I’m a big fan of good ol’ downward dog in general!
      Yeah my ankle has definitely not been the same since I sprained it :s do you know of anything one can do to improve it’s health? Like strengthening exercises once it’s healed or something? I am icing it as I type this haha.

2. runsaltrun says:

OMG is that Minion your phone case? My daughter would lose her mind!
    Hooray for yoga and what a beautiful place to practice! One of my biggest dreams right now is going to teacher training! Your friend is super sweet for making you soup. πŸ™‚ I hope your ankle is feeling better. ❀

• Haha I actually tend to have the same taste as three year olds, we are very similar in that way πŸ™‚ I am crazy about minions! πŸ™‚ wow that is an awesome dream Salt, I’m sure you will achieve it! Thanks for the ankle wellness wishes! πŸ˜‰

3. Jessica says:

You are such a trooper for waitressing with a sprained ankle.!! I have never been a waitress before, but I have full respect for anyone who has.. it can’t be easy. Plus I’m not nearly close to nice when taking orders from people. Haha
    And major props to you for being so focused and determined with your school work.!!! You should rub some off on me.! Lol one of my biggest dreams is to graduate college… but i haven’t made it a priority right now… I know, bad.! But other big dreams are to run a marathon and get a sub 1:30 half marathon.

• Haha thanks, I’m sure you would be a lovely customer! πŸ™‚ graduating takes a lot of time, not to mention when you have an adorable two year old and are running marathons and halfs! Those are all dreams of mine so you are crushing me in those areas haha πŸ™‚

• Jessica says:

Yea definitely true.!! I had planned to go back this winter.. but I’m kind of glad I didn’t. I wouldn’t have had nearly as much time as I would like.!! I work 55+ hours a week. Plus my little 2 year old. Thank you girl πŸ™‚

• WOW, 55+ hrs a week with a little two year old? You are a MACHINE!! I can’t even imagine! You go girl! Your little one will have so much respect for her incredibly hard working mama πŸ™‚

• Jessica says:

awe thanks.!! you’re too sweet. Trust me, it’s an easy job, nothing like being a waitress.! and hopefully πŸ™‚ I do it all for her

4. I don’t think I could have ever been a waitress! It seems like such hard work. That soup looks delicious…very smart of you to live with someone who is so good in the kitchen:)

• It is crazy hard, I have never been so physically tired in my life!! It amazes me! Haha yes I am winning here, she has to live with a waitress but I get to live with a chef πŸ™‚

5. No, never been a waitress. Although feeding my kids feels like that very often – but with no tips!! That’s a beautiful place to do yoga. Good luck on your first week back hitting the books!

• Haha being a mum is like being the ultimate waitress/cook/teacher/mentor/all jobs rolled in to one πŸ™‚ and no tips! So much respect to you! πŸ™‚ Thanks so much, I’m weirdly excited about it but give it a month and I might have changed my tune somewhat πŸ˜‰

6. I used to be a waitress when I was younger and it was probably one of the hardest jobs I have ever had, being on my feet for so long. I work from home now, so I have the opposite problem of sitting down for a lot of the day.

• That makes me happy to know it’s not just me who finds it incredibly tiring! πŸ™‚ I totally get what you mean, if I wasn’t waitressing I would just be studying and sitting down all day… too much of either is not great!

7. Sally says:

U are soooooo sweet my dearest twinnie Jessie!! So good living with a chef right? Haha.. But it’s really good too living with bestie like you πŸ™‚
    Waitressing is not really hard if u enjoy it, talk more to customers and keep busy. Forget about how it makes you tired but just remember how happy you are if you can make the guest satisfied πŸ™‚
    Go go go.. U can do it Jessie!

• So true twinnie! Thanks for the pep talk and for saving my life with the blister sheilds! See you at work- I will be the one pep talking you when you have 10,000 desserts to make! πŸ™‚