Today I have yoga questions for everyone because I am nosy and doing a lot of yoga due to my sprained ankle meaning no running.
My cat loves to get amongst it.
I want to know all the details about:
1) How did you first start doing yoga? – I bought a yoga dvd (Power with Kristin Mc Gee) at the Warehouse (like the NZ version of Target I think) for a ridiculously cheap price, about seven years ago. It was kindof spur of the moment but I had thought about yoga before and been interested, plus I had done ten years of ballet so I was pretty sure I would like it. I started doing it at home and in my dorm at university and loved it right from the start. I definitely could not move for about a week after doing it the first time though! I did that dvd for TWO YEARS before ever setting foot in a class. Let’s just say my form needed a little work when I finally did 😉
2) What style of yoga do you do? – I generally do vinyasa/ashtanga, a bit of iyengar, but I also love some power or yin depending on how I feel on the day. Okay I kindof love it all, I am a yoga skank 😉
3) Where do you do yoga? Always in the same spot or do you go different places? Or do you go to a studio? – Get ready for a more detailed description than you probably wanted guys 😉
After doing yoga by myself at home for two years (about twice a week at that time) I went to Malaysia and found an incredible teacher who until this day is still “the one” yoga teacher for me. She taught iyengar style and really helped me with my form and was also the most adorable hilarious lady ever. She taught in English which was lucky for me except for one time when I went to her Mandarin class by accident and had to follow as best I could. This was when I starting practicing an hour and a half every day in without fail (yoga in Malaysia was incredibly cheap).
After that I went back to normal life (and a student budget) and continued practicing at home with my dvd (me and Kristin are pretty much besties now 😉 ), as well as doing free classes at the local Lululemon store in Auckland. Did you know that all Lululemon’s do free yoga classes and other fitness stuff like fun runs? I have done yoga at the Lululemon in Auckland, Vancouver, and Sydney at this point and they have all been amazing. I love doing the community class like that because every week you generally get a different style of yoga so it is great for beginners who aren’t too sure on which style is their preferred one yet.
That took me right up until last year when I went to Salt Spring Island in Canada to do three months of Karma Yoga and the service and study program. This was an incredible adventure and I promise I will do a proper post about it soon as I have been talking about it forever and still not gotten around to the post. Here I was doing lots of different styles of yoga asana practice, and also living and breathing yoga as a lifestyle.
Now in Sydney me and my bestie do yoga when we wake up, and yoga before bed. We only usually do about 10-30 mins each time, and we use Youtube for lots of different classes and styles. I never used Youtube before now, but it is an incredible resource, with soo many different classes and teachers. I actually LOVE doing yoga like this, just a short session morning and night, because even at the end of a long waitressing shift 10 mins seems achievable to me, and I end up having the best sleep as a result.
In the morning we do yoga on the balcony, on the rooftop, in our room (we are sharing, more on that hilarious situation later 🙂 ), and down at the waterfront close to her place. I have done yoga in the tiniest dorm rooms, my pizza wedge shaped apartment in Auckland, in the woods in Canada, and a million other places so I am not fussy. I definitely love doing it outside though, to me yoga is just the most natural thing and so feels best in nature. Now I sound like a rambly hippy so I will stop 😉
4) Where did you get your yoga mat? – Confession: I never had a yoga mat until about three days ago. I have always gone au natural with this (which I realise is probably not reccomended), but my yoga gloves have been great and I have had quite a transient sort of lifestyle for a while which puts me off accumulating too much stuff. I finally bit the bullet and got a $6 one from kmart but I don’t think it will necessarily last long term.
5) What do you wear to do yoga? – I am a capris girl all the way (for running and yoga) and like singlet tops that aren’t too baggy so I don’t flash everyone in the apartment opposite us when I do it on the balcony. Recently I am also loving me some short shorts because it is so hot here. I also like a headband to keep my hair and sweat out of my eyes, and my yoga gloves are super helpful with grip.
Ok I could probably ask at least 20 more questions but have already written a million more words than I usually write so just feel free to let me know anything yoga related in the comments because I want to know it ALL 🙂
And in un-yoga related news, some stuff I think is cool and compulsively need to share with you:
Has anyone ever seen one of these coin deposit thingys?? My bestie took me to the bank and I pretty much flipped my shizzle over this. Am I just a newbie to life or is this totally GENIUS? Australian coins are huge and ridiculously heavy too which makes this even more useful.
Her bank also had flowers in my fave colour AND lollies there. Um, I need to join this bank.
This top from kmart is awesome however I am not running right now so I don’t need it and it is out of my price range. You know you are a student when you say things like “$12?!? That’s way too expensive!!” Does anyone else take pictures of things they like but they know they shouldn’t buy? It’s weird but it helps me with my whole I live out of a suitcase thing.
There was an engagement party at work and they gave us cupcakes. To make this even more amazing, my friend didn’t want her icing (?!?) so I got two icings and one cupcake, the perfect ratio. Her lack of sensible judgement worked out super well for me.
Please enable my nosiness and answer my questions 😉 If you don’t do yoga, tell me how you started doing whichever workout it is that floats ya boat!
1) How did you first start doing yoga?
2) What style of yoga do you do?
3) Where do you do yoga? Always in the same spot or do you go different places? Or do you go to a studio?
4) Where did you get your yoga mat?
5) What do you wear to do yoga?