The one with running and side stitches

First things first guys- last chance to vote HERE for Curtis to become Canada’s best new artist! 🙂 Thank you guys so much for voting already, it is so much appreciated and so exciting that he might make the top ten! Fingers crossed please! 🙂

Focus Animation Focus AnimationFocus Animation

Brekkie today was a divine bowl of porridge which was the absolute perfect consistency. Something weird about me and my porridge- I don’t like it to be too hot so I always put it in the freezer for about five minutes before I eat it.

Followed by finishing an essay (FINALLY) due to actually putting myself on a reinforcement schedule with lollies. Every edited paragraph = one lolly, hey if it works on pigeons etc I have no doubt it will work on me. Similar brain capacity 😉

Ps. How ghetto is my computer? Every time I bring it into the Apple store I am simultaneously ashamed and proud of how gangster it is.

A mid-Sunday afternoon run. It was perfect autumn weather, cool and fresh and lots of autumn leaves blowing about. AND I found the below headband that I thought I had lost, totally made my day as I have been procrastinating from buying more.

Despite the autumn leaves and the rediscovered headband etc etc etc, I know my face looks like pure evil in this photo. Why, you might ask? That is what I like to call my stitch face my friends. I cut half of it out because I didn’t want to scare you guys too much, but it definitely captures quite nicely how running 4 miles with an intense stitch did not feel very great.

What is the deal with stitches?? As per my extensive research (okay, I googled it and read the first article I saw), apparently people don’t actually know the definite reason that these abominations to running exist. They can be correlated with food for some people but I am pretty sure that this is something that we as runners already know, who hasn’t eaten something silly (ummm….abnormal amount of lollies while studying probably did not help my situation at all) and then paid the price.

Runner’s Connect says:

imageI thought this was super interesting and will definitely be trying it next time:

(From HERE)

And finally, this article made me feel better because it says there is something you can do to prevent stitches, but a little worse when I realised what that thing is:
imageCore work, here I come. I am the worst at assuming I do enough core work during yoga, but if it is a session with only a few or no planks or core poses (yin, I am looking at you) then I have actually done no core work and it is no wonder that I am getting crazy stitches that make me want to die a little bit.

I am thinking some of this in my life is probably a good idea:

What do you do when you get a stitch during a run? How often do you get stitches?

What did you have for brekkie today?

What sort of computer do you use? – Ancient Mac that I am praying will last me through my MA degree.

This entry was posted in Running, Yoga and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The one with running and side stitches

1. TechChick says:

I have had my fair share of annoying side stitches. Mostly in racing, when I’m really pushing it. Annoying! The way I get rid of them is to pinch my side (holding the stitch) and walking. Which really stinks when I’m racing, but it fixes it pretty quick. I have read that about the breathing and opposite foot stride, but I can never remember it or figure it out when I need to use it 🙂
    So is your porridge different than oatmeal, or is that just a generic term for hot oatmeal? (another word not used much in the U.S….)

• That’s a good plan, it’s annoying to walk during a run but it does make sense if the rest of the run feels heaps better! Yeah I want to try the foot strike breathing thing but it does seem a little confusing, who knows if ill be able to work it out when I’m actually running haha. I’m pretty sure porridge is the same as oatmeal… I make mine with water but I know a lot of people make it with milk? Not too sure haha

2. TechChick says:

Oh, and LOVE the lollies. Super cute! And, I voted for your man again (and the other times you mentioned it too!). Good luck to him!

3. Jason says:

I only get stitches once or twice a year, and it’s usually related to something terrible I ate right before I went running. If it’s minor, I’ll run through it (with a cranky face). If it’s not, I’ll just walk for a bit. Or stop and eat more snacks – oops!

4. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

you look so intense on that run, you really are gangsta. lol
    you know.. it’s weird but I never get side stitches, like ever, so I totally think it does have to do with whatever you eat. I never eat before running so that’s probably why I don’t get them.!
    Brekkie ah I love your words. lol. I had half a peanut butter sandwich and chocolate milk, now I am soo hungry for lunch.

• Oh that is so interesting! Cos you always run first thing in the morning right? Hahaha I am super gangsta right?? Glad you recognise that 😉 Chocolate milk is awesome! Even as an adult (am I really an adult… lets not question it too much haha..) I still think of chocolate milk as a treat! Lol!

• Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Yupp.! Always eat after my run.! Yes, choclate milk is soo good.! Have you seen that meme that says, who let me adult.? I can’t adult.! Lol.