The one with birthdays, busyness and finding balance

Two birthdays of some of my favourite people ever:

Curtis birthday

(Old photo from our time in Vancouver together…PS doesn’t that lady in the background look like she is very excited about ordering her food? Love it 🙂 ).

Plus the beastiest class of my life:

imagePlus one minion bus (because you know that made my heart explode in excitement while I chased it down the street and made bestie just about die with embarrassment):

Plus three nights of partying:

Plus four glorious runs with a substantial amount of cheek sweat:

= a very busy and wonderful week.

See, who said I can’t do maths? (Mr. Wilson from Year 10 maths, I am looking at you).

Now that I am back on the running bandwagon and loving it, the runs are feeling easier and those addictive running chemicals are pumping through my veins 24/7, I am having no trouble being motivated to fit running into my busy schedule (how fancy and in demand does that make me sound? 🙂 ).

I have also squeezed in one HIIT session this week and it’s only Saturday here so as per my goals of doing two sessions a week I still have ample time to fit it in.

Now let’s talk yoga. I usually like to do yoga every day (nothing crazy, just a short session in the morning or evening or scattered throughout the day… gosh I really have no schedule with this at all haha). But lately, perhaps because I have been all excited about running and HIIT and also pretty busy, I have just not been feeling the same motivation as usual to get on my mat and practice. And while I think it’s important to just do what you can in terms of the amount of yoga practice you have time for, for myself I do find it helpful to practice every day.

Yoga with geese

Even though there were times where I could have done yoga this past week, I just didn’t feel motivated. And I really think it all just comes down to managing a good balance. Finding the balance between my wants (endorphin inducing sweatylicious exercise) and my needs (a calming and centering yoga practice that brings me a sense of peace throughout my day). Just because I am super excited to get out there and pound the pavement doesn’t mean I won’t benefit from giving that a break and concentrating on a nice centering yoga practice. We don’t always feel like cleaning the house or brushing our teeth (sorry if that is TMI, I promise I do it anyway), but those things are needs and once we do them we feel better.

Having said that, doing more running and less yoga is okay too. I definitely don’t want to spread myself too thin by trying to do it ALL and to the best of my ability –  sometimes something has to give and recognising that and being kind to myself around that is so healthy and something I can absolutely work on. I want to flow with what my body and mind feel like doing but also take into account that it is sometimes what we don’t feel like doing that is the thing we need most.

To sum up my garbled mental processes on the situation:

The running and HIIT is awesome. Now I just need to figure out how to balance this with my yoga practice. Bringing back the morning/evening 10-15 minute yoga practice is probably a good idea. It might not give me the same buzz that running does, but it gives me other things- the ability to cope with stress better, a time to connect with myself and my spirituality, and a calming grounding space in my day which otherwise can be a little all over the place.

Who else struggles with balance? – Sometimes I get confused between finding a good balance and spreading myself too thin by taking on too many things, it is a fine line!

What tends to give when you are busy- do you still prioritise your workout/yoga practice? – I also find this challenging sometimes- knowing the difference between what is going to be good for me and help me deal with stress, and what is simply putting more on my already full plate.

How was your week? Busy/relaxing/both?

PS. Feel free to wish Curtis and Sally happy birthday in the comments!!! My amazing boyfriend and my amazing bestie both having birthdays on consecutive days – pretty special!! 🙂

This entry was posted in Running, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The one with birthdays, busyness and finding balance

1. Pa. says:

Birthday Greetings to the Jessie Bessie Besties. Sally & Curtis. Have a wonderful year.

2. Sally says:

I started doing yoga again!!! 😁 and this week was so wonderful..work hard party harder 😝 and thanks for making my birthday so special bestie!! ❤️❤️❤️

3. babycrow says:

hmmm, balance! Yep it often feels quite elusive. But you’re aware of the need for it, so that must be a good start, right? Busyness can feel so great, it’s almost addictive. Much like those running endorphins. But (and I don’t want to rain on your parade here) I believe what goes up must come down. So better to put in a judicious bit of downtime balance that keeps you in control of the ups and downs. Hope that makes some sense. Enjoy the highs, AND look after yourself – that’s the balancing trick!
    happy birthdays all round — to the bf and the other kind of bf!
    xx

4. Happy birthday Curtis & Sally!! We just celebrated my daughters birthday. Still on a frosting buzz over here 🙂 It’s all good!

5. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Awe Happy Birthday to Sally.!! And Curtis too. Is it creepy if I feel like I sort of know Sally.? Haha.
    And that’s awesome that you’ve found your running motivation again, but I can totally see how it would affect your yoga motivation. You just shifted focuses.!! It happens.!
    And that class.! Aughh. I would kill myself. I remember I had a 4 hour class once, augh that was horrible.

• Awwww that is so sweet! Haha she totally asks me “how is veggie running momma” cos she knows you are a super lovely blog buddy for me!
      You totally worded that perfectly, I do feel like my focus tends to shift back and forth! It does make sense!
      Haha totally! Usually my classes are three hours but eight hours was a whole new story! Thank goodness afternoons are practical! I’m definitely wiped out afterwards haha

• Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Awee. Yay.! Haha she is too cute.! Tell her I say hi than.! 🙂
        And gosh yea. 8 hours is crazyy

6. I’m both a distance runner and an ashtanga yoga instructor. It all depends on what I’m feeling more at that time. I’ve been into running a bit more lately so don’t practice as often but I’ve been trying to fit it in when I can, a few times per week. You’ll figure it out – just think how good it is that you have multiple healthy hobbies you are interested in, you can’t go wrong if you are doing something!

7. Vanessa says:

Happy Birthday & Happy Birthday!!
    I LOVE that background lady in the first picture! And also that minion bus (because I’m also obsessed with minions – we have a fire hydrant that someone painted over to look like a minion!).
    Definitely also struggle for balance, especially with workouts since I do 5 different things – and hardly ever plan, so it tends to be haphazard. Running is always priority & yoga always ends up being the one left behind (whoops).

• Haha thanks girl!
      She is awesome right? 🙂
      Ooooooooh you seriously have to take a photo, share the minion love! I will be stalking your blog until you do 🙂 wow five things is heaps!! What are the other three?

• Vanessa says:

I will take a picture to show you!
        I also do cardio circuits, zumba, and tae bo. It sounds like more than it ends up being because I don’t do them TOO much since I run every day. I just recently tried tae bo, though, and it’s my new love!